Search This Blog

Jan 22, 2012

Attempt to remove glue record on delegated zone crashes DNS console

- Windows 2008 R2
- 2 domains, parent-child
- 2 DNS zones respectively. Child zone delegated from parent zone
- Connect to parent DNS server, wrong IP listed for a name server in delegated zone properties window
- When try to remove or edit it, after confirmation, the MMC freezes

There are a few other people had same issue, seems to be a bug as far as I see it.

Resolution:
- ADSIedit, connect to parent DNS server
- Drill down to the delegated zone node
- In right hand pane, find the name server in question, remove the wrong IP from "dnsRecord(?)" attribute (you have to change the view to be "decimal" to see which entry is the wrong IP.

Update Nov 20, 2012:
Never mind the above, I found a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581690 that is exactly for this bug. This KB was published in 2011, I wonder why I didn't find it earlier - I consider myself an expert finding KBs :-). Not to mention why the Microsoft engineer I worked with didn't find this either.